From the Historic Marker in front of the Spicket River Falls Dam in Methuen, Massachusetts:
The Spicket River Falls was first harnessed for water power in 1709. The present granite block dam was built in 1870 and 1880. Semi-spherical holes were carved in the top and bottom of each stone and cannon balls were inserted in the holes for reinforcement. The wood frame Mill No. 5 (ca 1840) sitting by the dam is the second oldest building in the Methuen Company complex. This is also the site of Methuen's first textile mill (1812-14, burned in 1818). In 1987, the Methuen Falls Hydroelectric Company began generating power here once again.