1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Eddie and I took a cruise and went snorkeling in Roatan, Honduras and Cozumel, Mexico. Traveled to the maritime provinces of Canada, including Newfoundland! Had to evacuate the city I was in for two hurricanes (Gustav and Ike). Voted for and GOT the President I was hoping for! And finally, ended the year putting a deposit down on a brand spanking new truck – the one we’ve been wanting for several years now!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept only one of them and I guess I'll make more for the new year. I can't promise I'll keep 'em though.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My cousin and his wife gave birth to a GORGEOUS baby girl named Julianna Rose (such the girlie name!) and my other cousin and her husband gave birth to the happiest little boy I've ever seen, Jason Robert.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada, Mexico and Honduras.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Once again, I'd like time alone without distractions or interruptions.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Can't be anything other than the election of Barack Obama on November 4th. A day I will never forget.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I didn't have any big achievements this year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not organizing my writings in the capacity I was hoping and not keeping up with the damn scanning of our receipts!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just this stupid pulled muscle or whatever the hell it was. Which is still bothering me, by the way!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The best thing I bought was my new cell phone, but the best thing Eddie bought me was my Kindle!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I'm not really sure who celebrates behavior other than a parent, but I guess Barack Obama held his tongue pretty well during his Presidential campaign against Senator Have-You-Heard-I-Was-A-POW-My-Friends and Governer I-Can-See-Russia-From-My-Front-Porch. I don't think I would have been able to be as restrained. I'm sure I would have been heard mumbling idiot! under my breath more than once during those last few months; something every news channel definitely would have covered.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I'd have to say the racist, hateful behavoir of the people standing in line for the Republican presidential rallies. Have you SEEN the video of those people?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Same place as always: dining out, vacations and entertainment (which includes movies, books, iTunes, Kindle downloads, etc.)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I don't get three "really's" kind of excited about anything, but shopping for a house was fun.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
2008 was THE YEAR of Sugarland, so any of their songs will bring me back.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
Same as last year: Happy, Fat and Rich.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With Eddie and family in Arizona.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
No one new on the romance front since I have my Eddie, but I have continued my love affair with cheese.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I didn't watch enough TV this year to have any favorites.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope, no one new.
24. What was the best book you read?
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and Such A Pretty Fat; Bright Lights, Big Ass; and Bitter is the new Black, all by Jen Lancaster
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Adele. She's just fantastic.
26. What did you want and get?
A Kindle, snow and several new purses.
27. What did you want and not get?
That damned trip to Europe!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Probably the one I just saw; Yes Man with Jim Carrey. Laughed at almost every line!
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 41 this year and didn't do anything special on my birthday.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Same as last year: Taking a trip alone with my brother and spending more time in snow and cold weather.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Three words: Velour Track Suits
32. What kept you sane?
My best friend.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Barack Obama. I can't get enough.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
This year I was up in arms about almost everything. Election year, you know.
35. Who did you miss?
My father. As always, mostly at night when I have driving think time.
My best friend. I didn't see her nearly as much this year as I did last.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Hands DOWN it has to be Hedon and Stace from The Highway Hags. They don't know it yet, but I am SO stalking them this year.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Once again, I have two:
1. Some people will never change.
2. Time passes anyway. Don't put off doing anything.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
This comes from one of my favorite groups, Sugarland. The song is called Settlin’ and can be found on their "Enjoy The Ride" album.
“I ain't settlin'
For just getting by
I've had enough so-so
For the rest of my life
Tired of shooting too low
So raise the bar high
'Just enough', ain't enough this time
I ain't settlin' for anything less than everything”
Next year I plan on adopting my brother's slogan for the year: Shine In Oh Nine!
Don't settle for anything less than everything, my friends. Shine on!